Have you heard about the Gluten Free Girl Scout Cookies!? As soon as we found out, we were on it! Girl scout cookies were one of the first things I thought of when I got diagnosed. I was devastated to think that I couldn’t have my Thin Mints or Shortbread Cookies. We all have our favorites. It’s a travesty all of their cookies have gluten. Thankfully though, they were so kind to include us gluten free-bees in their cookie sale this year!
As part of their 2013-2014 cookie sale, the girl scouts are conducting a “pilot” to see how well the Gluten Free Girl Scout Cookie sale goes. If all goes well, they will launch nationally, since only 20 councils are currently participating. We are not sure if this means a bigger variety will be offered, but we sure hope so! Imagine if they offered an entire line of gluten free cookies. Wouldn’t that just about make your life?
Unfortunately, because only participating councils will be selling, they are only available if you live in an area whose council chose to participate. I was too eager & thought I would just see if they would provide me with more options to purchase, since I am not in an area that sells them. This is the e-mail I received:
“Thank you so much for inquiring about Girl Scout Cookies baked by ABC Bakers. As a bakery we do not sell any product and the Girl Scouts are the only authorized organization to sell these delicious cookies.
ABC Bakers will assess the results of the Gluten Free Pilot after the first year and determine next steps. There are 20 Girl Scout Councils that sell ABC Bakers cookies across the country that chose to be a part of the pilot: visit abcsmartcookies.com/gf-cookie-councils to see which councils are participating. Inquire with the closest council to you regarding getting your desired cookies.”
I was kind of bummed because they basically gave me the information that was on their site, but you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take, right? I haven’t tried contacting the closest counsel yet. So, maybe I’ll get working on that.
About the Gluten Free Girl Scout Cookie:
– It is a bite size Chocolate Chip Shortbread
– It’s certified gluten free
– It’s made with real chocolate chips & real butter
– Contains no artificial flavors, no artificial colors, no high fructose corn syrup no palm oil & no hydrogenated oils
– It is NOT dairy free; contains eggs & milk
– It is made in a facility that processes soy, tree nuts & peanuts
Flour blend (rice flour, tapioca flour, cornstarch, guar gum, baking soda, potato startch, xanthan gum), butter, dried cane syrup, chocolate chips (evaporated cane sugar, chocolate liquor, cocoa butter), water, vanilla extract, salt, cocoa powder (cocoa powder, vanilla), egg whites.
Where can you find the Gluten Free Girl Scout Cookies?
- Girl Scouts of California’s Central Coast
- Girl Scouts of Central California South
- Girl Scouts of Central Maryland
- Girl Scouts of Citrus
- Girl Scouts of Eastern Iowa and Western Illinois
- Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts
- Girl Scouts of Eastern Pennsylvania
- Girl Scouts of Heart of Central California
- Girl Scouts of Maine
- Girl Scouts of Minnesota Wisconsin Lakes & Pines
- Girl Scouts of North Carolina Coastal Pines
- Girl Scouts of Orange County
- Girl Scouts of Carolinas Peaks to Piedmont
- Girl Scouts of San Gorgonio
- Girl Scouts of San Jacinto
- Girl Scouts of Southern Nevada
- Girl Scouts of Virginia Skyline
- Girl Scouts of Western NY
- Girl Scouts of Wisconsin Badgerland
- Girl Scouts of Wisconsin Southeast
If you are in an area that sells these, be sure to try them for us! We would love to hear how they taste & what the texture is like. I’m interested in knowing the price & if it’s comparable to the others. Remember, if this trial goes well, they will go national & maybe there will be more options gluten free-wise! Hurray Gluten Free Girl Scout Cookies!